Dekalb Brilliance Academy Uniform Guidelines
DeKalb Brilliance Academy students are required to wear a uniform daily. We will provide assistance to any families who are unable to afford the cost of the uniform. We have a washer and dryer on the premises of the school so that clean uniforms are always available for loan and wear at school.
The school is responsible for seeing that student attire does not interfere with the health or safety of any student, that student attire does not contribute to a hostile or intimidating atmosphere for any student, and that dress code enforcement does not reinforce or increase marginalization or oppression of any group based on race, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, cultural observance, household income, or body type/size.
- Basic principle: certain body parts must be covered for all students at all times. Clothes must be worn in a way such that undergarments, buttocks, upper thighs, and chests are fully covered with opaque fabric.
- Students must wear, while following the basic principle above:
- A top that meets the criteria below, AND
- Uniform shirts must be purchased through our uniform vendor. Our uniform shirts are navy or gold polo with the school logo stitched into the fabric. Shirts are available in both long-sleeve and short-sleeve. Shirts should be the appropriate size, fitting the child without being too tight to restrict movement, and should be completely tucked in.
- Bottoms (pants, skirt, dress, shorts) that meet criteria below, AND
- Plain navy twill pants
- Plain navy twill shorts
- Plain navy skirts
- Plain navy jumpers
- Shoes that meet the criteria below: Because scholars walk a lot during each day and have exercise time each day, we ask that scholars wear sneakers instead of dress shoes.
- Students must wear sneakers daily
- Heels that do not inhibit the movement of students
- Students may wear:
- Any shirt with the school logo produced by the school
- School logo pullover sweater vest
- School logo cardigan sweater
- Head coverings: Scholars may wear cultural and religious headwear, headwraps, and hairbands; however, scholars are not allowed to wear casual head coverings such as hats, bonnets, du-rags, or sweatbands in the building during instructional time. Such items worn inside the building will be taken from scholars and stored at the front desk for parents to pick up.
- Students cannot wear:
- Violent language or images
- Images or language depicting drugs or alcohol (or any illegal item or activity)
- Hate speech, profanity, pornography
- Images or language that creates a hostile or intimidating environment based on any protected class or consistently marginalized groups
- Any clothing that reveals visible undergarments
- Swimsuits (except as required in class or athletic practice)
- Accessories that could be considered dangerous or could be used as a weapon
- Hats, scarves, or other accessories that are not core to the students’ outfit and could become easily lost
- Physical Education Shirts: There is no gym uniform and scholars may not change clothes for P.E. or recess.
Uniforms on Field Lessons: Due to safety reasons, scholars must wear their uniform on field lessons. In the event of an emergency, wearing the uniform will allow staff to quickly identify a student.